Monday 15 April 2013

Introducing 2013: Azerbaijan!

I have decided to take a look at each entry this year, in a lead-up to the contest! There are 39 countries participating this year, all aiming to win in Malmo (well, some don't wanna win!) Turkey, Portugal, Slovakia and Bosnia & Herzegovina decided to withdraw this year, which was a shame, so lets hope they'll decide to return for 2014! I have drawn all the countries randomly and today it's Azerbaijan's turn...

Farid Mammadov - Hold Me!

The Azeri selection started in December and came to an end 14th March. It was the longest national selection and damn we had some awesome performances! Participants had to cover world famous songs, ESC songs and Azerbaijani traditional songs - so a bit of everything. My favourite performances include this, thisthis, thisthisthis and the utter best was this cover of "Euphoria" - comedy gold! There's nothing like a karaoke night in Azerbaijan... These performances certainly brought a smile to my face.

I hate Hold Me! I'm sorry but it's just awful. We have heard this kinda song 100 times before. Farid is a very good singer and deserves to represent Azerbaijan - but with a different song. I think it'll qualify, and then do very well but I really wouldn't miss this if Azerbaijan missed the final... I loved all their entries (even Running Scared) until this year. Farid will perform Hold Me in the second semi final between Finland and FYR Macedonia. Could we be going to Baku again next year? Never say never! One day we will hear some beautiful Azeri music.. And I'm looking forward to that day very much!
Hold me, just unfold me Unchain my soul, give me love, make me whole...
Enjoy!


Probably my favourite entry from Azerbaijan...


TOMORROW'S HINT - IT'S NOT ME, IT'S ???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...